d. Re-examine where benchmarks are set
e. Differentiate benchmark scores
b. Minimize re-take cost
c. Sign-up fee should be a one-time fee
2. Customer Service
a. Better access
b. More materials
c. Faster, immediate, useful feedback; strand data
d. Better reflect basic skills
3. Time and timing
b. Unlimited time at no added cost
e. Shorten retake window from 60 days (i.e., 30 days)?
f. All testing should be done at college-level (before entering program)
a. Remediation at college level (possibly to replace test)
b. More feedback on test (Provide enough info, so candidate know the area for remediation)
c. Detailed individual feedback for each test
d. After “x” number of retakes, automatically indicates targeted resources, such as tutor, mentor, test prep materials, courses, etc.
5. Appeals Process/Exemptions
a. After “x” number of retakes, trigger an appeals process
c. An appeals process is in place
f. Include world language teachers in non-immersion schools in waivers for non-native speakers
o Immersion (Experimental, Community leaders)
o All non-native English-speaking teachers of foreign language
o Licensed in another state
a. Language barriers:
i. Test in another language
ii. Prompts in native language, particularly in writing and math
b. Clear communication regarding the accommodations that are allowed
e. Align accommodations with the accommodations made for MN students in our K-12 and higher education
Licensed in Other States
• Special cases to the license (i.e., Texas has a license for life)
• Odd cases (i.e., not great teachers)
• Other professions do not grant reciprocity across states
• Course requirements for licensure
• BOT has already looked at streamlining procedures around out-of-state licenses
• Especially an issue for border cities and towns
• Is the MTLE appropriate for special education teachers who are dealing with specialized groups of students who may not be required to need college-level math?
• There is a shortage of special education teachers, but is it because of the test?
• Are there other things we can do overall?