English Learner Stakeholder Input Group Meeting Summary
May 20, 2013
In attendance: Amani Ahrens, Rachel Casey, Mary Diaz, Donna Drescher, Scott Endo, Ann Roehl, Sara George, Patty Gillespie, Brenda Hand, Jennifer Hernandez, Jennifer Leazer, Deborah Mitchell-Gerold, Kiersten Nicholson, Natalie Prasch, Megan Reikowski, Kristina Robertson, Beth Stenglein, Ursula Lentz, Leigh Schleicher, Elizabeth Watkins, Ruslana Westerlund
• Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives – With two stable years of Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State-to-State for English Language Learners (ACCESS for ELLs) data following the second administration of ACCESS for ELLs in the spring of 2013, MDE along with stakeholders will review the ACCESS data to reset AMAO targets, as needed, with support from H. Gary Cook from the World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) Consortium. Initial meetings are anticipated to take place the week of August 18th, 2013.
• Data Digs – Workshop for data digs is confirmed for January 14-15, 2014. Justine Kolb and Amanda Spalter will be facilitating.
• Webinars – The number of webinars will remain the same for 2013-2014.
• Leigh Schleicher shared about the Assessment Services Supporting ELs through Technology Systems (ASSETS) consortium. Minnesota is a member of the ASSETS assessment consortium which is developing a next generation English language proficiency assessment system. The full system will measure student progress in attaining the academic English necessary to succeed in school and ultimately post-secondary studies and work. It will include a computer-based language proficiency test, screener, interim assessments, and formative resources. The new assessment system is scheduled to be operational in the 2015-16 school year. Leigh Schleicher is a member of the English Learner Definition subcommittee, Anh Tran is on the Reporting subcommittee, and Cheryl Alcaya is on the Technology subcommittee.
• Family Engagement Resources – changes to the family engagement chapter of the English Learner Education Program Guidelines were reviewed. Suggestions for additions were made and will be included.
• EL Licensing – The Licensing chapter of the English Learner Education Program Guidelines was last updated in August, 2011. Recommendations for revisions include:
a. Simplifying the language of some questions
b. Clarification of the process for EL teachers to become highly qualified, the bilingual education endorsement and Board of Teaching waivers
c. An introduction to variances, waivers, limited licenses and community experts.
2. WIDA Webcasts
1. Overview of the English Language Development (ELD) Standards
2. Overview of Academic Language (AL)
3. AL of ELA
4. AL of Math
5. AL of Science
6. AL of Social Studies
• Early English Language Development Standards Framework – WIDA’s Early English Language Development (EELD) Standards Framework and a survey are available on the new EELD standards page. See Early English Language Development (EELD) Standards Framework on the WIDA website (http://www.wida.us/standards)
4. MDE Webinars
• Suggestions for topics were received. Fridays, monthly, 2-3pm is still the best time to offer the webinars.
• We need an auto reminder a day before and to add an “Add to Outlook Calendar” feature
• Remind participants it won’t be archived
• Content: keep a combination of districts sharing with the MDE updates
• PD tips – share Featured Resource of the Month
5. Quality Indicators
• Participants reviewed Quality Indicators in groups and provided recommendations on content.
6. ELSIG 2013-2014
• Meetings will be 4 times on Mondays form 12:30 – 3:30. Months for meeting are October, December, April, May. SKYPE or other ways to participate were suggested for when the weather makes travel difficult.
Current ELSIG members who wish to continue, and did not indicate so on the attendance sheet, can contact Anh Tran at: Phuong-Anh (MDE) firstname.lastname@example.org.