The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) provides LSTA funds to Minnesota through the Grants to States Program. The annual allotment is based on population, and is currently $2.7 million.
A five-year strategic plan, approved by IMLS, identifies Minnesota libraries’ current needs and goals. All Minnesota LSTA funds, including all competitive grant projects, address one or more of the six goals in our five-year plan.
- Support literacy including, but not limited to, 21st-century and digital-literacy skills.
- Provide educational opportunities for children from early learning through postsecondary. Target children from birth through age 17 from families living in poverty or facing barriers including, but not limited to, language, race, ability, geography or access to technology or other resources.
- Promote lifelong learning and continuing education, including the enhancement and expansion of services and resources relating to health, access to justice, and workforce and community development, in order to cultivate an educated and informed citizenry.
- Promote training and professional development, including continuing education, to improve and expand the current and future library workforce to support end-user needs.
- Support technology and infrastructure initiatives and services that build the capacity of Minnesota’s libraries to serve their patrons.
- Support statewide initiatives and services that build the capacity of Minnesota’s libraries and their staff to serve their communities.
Current LSTA Grant Opportunities
Current and upcoming grant rounds are listed below along with their status:
- Expanded Learning Through Libraries mini grants (round 2) – STATUS: Applications Due November 5, 2014
Grant instructions and forms are posted on the Grant Opportunity Site.
Please email Jennifer Verbrugge or call 651-582-8356 for more information or to request a reasonable accommodation. Note: The Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) requires advance notice in order to provide accommodations.
- Playful Learning in Libraries mini grants (round 2) – STATUS: Applications Due November 5, 2014
- 2015 Competitive LSTA grant opportunity - STATUS: Anticipated first quarter of 2015