Adult Basic Education/GED

Adult Basic Education (ABE) is available statewide at no cost to adult learners and is administered through the Minnesota Department of Education. Each year, over 500 delivery sites serve approximately 75,000 adult students. About one-half of whom are enrolled in English Learner (EL) programs. Licensed teachers provide ABE instruction and are assisted by more than 3,000 trained volunteers.  

To be eligible for ABE services, you must be 16 years old or older, not enrolled in K-12 public or private school and lack basic academic skills in one or more of the following areas: reading, writing, speaking and mathematics. 

The ABE curriculum umbrella includes Adult Diploma, GED, English as a Second Language (ESL or EL), Family Literacy, Basic Skills Enhancement, Workplace Literacy, and U.S. Citizenship/Civics. Programs are delivered primarily through public school districts as well as through non-profit organizations, some technical colleges and state and local correctional institutions.

Resources related to Minnesota's Adult Basic Education and GED programs, including local contacts, policy, administration resources, and professional development opportunities can be found on the Minnesota Literacy Council website. Select the link provided under resources.

General Educational Development (GED) Test
In Minnesota, individuals who do not have a high school diploma may be able to earn a State of Minnesota GED Diploma by passing the General Educational Development Test. The four tests in the GED battery measure academic competencies similar to many of those required of a Minnesota high school graduate.

Minnesota residents who are not currently enrolled in high school and are at least 19 nears of age (or at least 16 and have obtained an age waiver) are eligible to take the GED. You will also need a valid, current, government-issued photo ID card.

Warning Regarding Misleading GED Claims
The state of Minnesota GED Diploma can be neither earned nor obtained via the Internet or through correspondence programs. The Tests of General Educational Development developed by the GED Testing Service® often require extensive preparation and/or the demonstration of a high level of high school knowledge and academic skills. Tests are administered only at official GED Testing Centers under the direction of the Minnesota Department of Education. Any other GED diploma or “high school equivalency certificate” not issued by the Minnesota Department of Education may not be accepted by employers, colleges and universities or the military.

GED® and the GED Testing Service® are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education® and may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of the American Council on Education®.

  • Age Waiver Form and Instructions  - 1/14/14
    Form to request an age waiver for individuals taking the General Educational Development (GED) tests.
  • How to Request GED Records  - 12/4/13
    Information on the type of GED records available and instructions on how to submit a request.
  • GED Records Request Form  - 12/4/13
    Complete this form and return to the Minnesota Department of Education to request official GED records.