K-12 Esri – State of Minnesota GIS License Agreement
Welcome to the educational portal for information and resources associated with the Esri statewide Geographic Information Systems (GIS) license for the state of Minnesota! This effort is the result of a partnership of organizations and individuals designed to promote geospatial technology education with Minnesota's K-12 educators and non-formal education providers. Through GIS technology, Minnesota youth are using the tools of high-demand careers in the classroom to examine geographic questions, conduct analysis and explore themes. Students are working with data in ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports and charts—applications that are invaluable to their studies in many subject areas, including science, mathematics, career and technical education, social studies, reading, and language arts.
Follow the steps below to download and start using the Esri ArcGIS software.
If you have an existing account with Esri please do the following.
If you need to create a new account please do the following.
1. Have your Technology Coordinator or main contact fill out the State of Minnesota GIS License Agreement.
2. Once you have submitted the agreement, have the Coordinator go to the Customer Portal and select the Create Account link
3. The Create Account link will walk you through a few screens:
4. You will receive an email from Esri acknowledging your account. You are done! You now have access to the Customer Portal. There are links to Download Software, download software authorization file(s), as well as other pertinent information about your account. ArcGIS software requires authorization files. These files are similar to license files but can be used for stand-alone (single instance on PC/laptop/mobile device) or concurrent (multiple entities) software applications.
The new K-12 license agreement allows for almost unlimited ArcGIS Online registrations. Create interactive maps and apps and be productive right away with ready-to-use content, apps and templates available for the web, smartphone and tablets. For free, but limited access, go to arcgis.com. To receive registration access to the full array of ArcGIS Online information, maps and GIS data, follow the steps below.
1. Have your Technology Coordinator or main contact send an email to email@example.com. Ask for a registration number for ArcGIS Online.
2. MDE will assign a registration number and an email will be sent inviting the individual to ArcGIS Online with access information.
3. Get started!
Esri Software Training (Virtual Campus)
As part of the license agreement, participants have access to many of Esri’s Virtual Campus standard training courses. These are primarily technology courses that will teach Esri software. To access available classes, including details about each class, go to http://training.esri.com and browse training classes. The License agreement doesn’t include instructor-led courses but most others are available. Once you have found a course that you, or your students, would like to take, follow the steps below to get access.
1. Have your Technology Coordinator or main contact send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the course name, number of participants taking the course and the software version (10.0, 10.1). If you already have an Esri Customer number, please include that as well as it will help in setting up the course under your school’s name.
2. MDE’s K-12 GIS coordinator will find the requested class and enter it in a registration page and forward onto Esri.
3. Esri will receive this information and assign course access codes for the number of participants requested. These codes along with the course number will be emailed to the Technology Coordinator.
4. Once the Technology Coordinator receives the email from Esri, go to http://training.esri.com, login with your account username and password and click on My Training on the right-hand side of the page. Enter your course access code in the box titled “Start a New Web Course”. The course title will display in the Courses in Progress list and you can click on the course title to begin.
If you have questions send an email to email@example.com.