2013 – 2014 Summer Food Service Program
Application Renewal Instructions
Submit applications by May 1, 2013.
NOTE: Submission of applications after May 1 may not allow for sufficient time for approval prior to the start of your organization’s Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) operations.
Applications must be submitted by June 15 or a minimum of 15 days prior to start date.
Important information for ALL applicants:
• Sponsors will be contacted if additional application information is needed.
• Applications will be approved when all the necessary documentation is received.
• An e-mail notification will be sent when the application is approved.
• SFSP meals served prior to the approval date cannot be submitted for reimbursement.
• The Appeal Procedure for SFSP is available for reference on the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) website and is provided to an SFSP sponsor when an appealable action is taken by the state agency. View the MDE Appeal Procedure which includes specific requirements and timelines that must be met when a sponsor requests an appeal.
Online application renewal process in the Cyber-Linked Interactive Child Nutrition System (CLiCS)
• Select program type “SFSP,” year “2014,” change search type to “Site,” then select “Search.”
• Select the Site ID number to open each site application. Review and update the information for 2013-2014 as needed. Scroll to the top of the screen and change the radio button to “Submitted for Approval.” Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select “Save.”
• Changes for 2014:
o Maximum Daily Capacity – This is a new requirement and sets a limit (also called a “site cap”) on the number of meals that can be served or reimbursed at a site. The maximum daily capacity (site cap) must be approved and may be adjusted by MDE/FNS. Indicate the capacity of the site to prepare, obtain, and/or distribute meals as well as the number of children for which the facilities are adequate.
o Vended Sites – Indicate if the vendor is a school food authority.
• Select the red applications tab to return to the screen with the list of site applications to update additional sites.
• Return to the main application page by selecting the red applications tab, change the search type back to “Sponsor,” then select “Search.”
• Select the Sponsor ID number. Some of the information has rolled over from last year. Review and update the sponsor budget for 2013-2014.
o Enter the anticipated SFSP reimbursement for this summer.
o Enter other sources of income (i.e. adult meal sales, cash donations, etc.).
Projected SFSP Administrative and Operational Costs:
o Enter only SFSP projected expenses for each category.
• Review and update the information for 2013-2014 as needed. Scroll to the top of the screen and change the radio button to “Submitted for Approval.” Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select “Save.”
• An e-mail notification will be sent to the contact e-mail on the sponsor application after the application is approved.
Required forms for ALL sponsors:
• Letter to the Health Department must be submitted notifying them of the organization’s intent to operate SFSP. Submit a copy of the letter sent to the local health department. View the Letter to the Health Department (sample)
Additional Requirements and Forms (submit as applicable):
• Contract for Vended Meals and Procurement: MDE has developed a template contract that includes the required elements. This template must be used by organizations that purchase meals from a vendor unless MDE has approved the organization to use its own usual form of contract. There are also specific regulations to follow in procuring a contract. If vended, submit a signed and completed copy of the Contract for Vended Meals and a copy of the applicable procurement form(s). Access the Contracts for Vended Meals template and procurement information.
• Migrant Sites Only: Submit documentation that demonstrates that the site serves predominantly migrant children. Contact MDE/FNS for more information if needed.
• CLiCS User ID/Password Request Form is used to add or delete access to the Cyber-Linked Interactive Child Nutrition System (CLiCS) and the online applications and claims. Submit a form for members of the organization to access CLiCS. Access the CLiCS User ID Request Form.
• Listserv Subscribe/Unsubscribe Form is used to add organization members to or delete them from an e-mail list used by FNS to communicate specific program information. Use this form to submit the name and e-mail address for each individual who should receive memos and announcements related to SFSP. Access the Listserv Subscribe/Unsubscribe Form.
Contact the FNS Applications Team at 651-582-8526, 1-800-366-8922 (MN Toll-free) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit the application documentation together as a complete packet to:
Mail: Minnesota Department of Education
Food and Nutrition Service
1500 Highway 36 West
Roseville, MN 55113