The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) for Family Day Care Homes (FDCH) application renewal is now open for fiscal year 2013-2014 (FY 2014). Complete the Cyber-Linked Interactive Child Nutrition System (CLiCS) online application. Provide the Budget Detail Worksheet, Management Plan Certification and supporting documents, and submit the online CLiCS budget on or before August 23, 2013. If there are questions about the renewal process, contact the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) - Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) Applications Team.
Select a topic link below for further detailed information and instructions.
1. Log-in to CLiCS and go to the applications for site screen.
2. Update site applications to ensure proper approvals will take place.
3. Delete all provider applications for those not renewing in FY 2014 by opening the site application, scroll to the bottom of the page and select “delete.”
4. Once the provider site applications have been verified, return to the application search criteria screen and change the “Type” field to “Sponsor.”
5. Update the sponsor application and select submit for approval before saving the page. Enter the budget summary from the completed Budget Detail Worksheet and include any carryover and the amount requested for an administrative advance (formal request must be submitted to Alan Dupay by August 7, 2013.)
6. Read the certification statement.
7. Save the sponsor application and correct any errors that may appear.
8. CLiCS performs an auto-approval process every 15 minutes to approve all site applications that meet the validation rules. Any sites that were found with errors will display a status of ‘Unapproved.’
9. Following the approval process in CLiCS check again for any site applications with a status of unapproved and resolve the errors for each unapproved site. Return to the application search screen and specify the ‘Type’ as ‘Site’ and specify the application status ‘Unapproved’ and select the search button.
10. Open each site to identify and resolve the errors on the site, then submit the site application for approval. Follow-up within a few hours to ensure approval was achieved.
11. Changes to site and sponsor application can be made at any time throughout the Program year by making the change and saving the application.
An authorized representative of the organization reviews the current Management Plan and makes the necessary revisions using the Management Plan Certification for Family Day Care Home Sponsors as a guide. The Management Plan Certification tells which Management Plan responses need to be submitted to MDE-FNS and are marked as “required.” Mark each response to a question as either “no change” or “changes.” The organization’s authorized representative signature is certification and acknowledgement that the Management Plan has been reviewed for accuracy and completeness. Access the Management Plan Certification.
Label any supporting documents that you submit to FNS as either a replacement or addition to a previous Management Plan response. Also include the management plan question number and date that the change was implemented. Answer one question per page so that it can be placed within its section of the Management Plan held at MDE-FNS. Submit the documents to MDE-FNS by fax to 651-582-8501 or e-mail email@example.com.
The FDCH administrative budget reflects the anticipated needs of the sponsor for CACFP funds for the next fiscal year. Refer to Food and Nutrition Service Instruction 796-2, Rev. 3, for detailed information on CACFP financial management, including allowable and unallowable costs. The Budget Detail Worksheet template, posted to the MDE-FNS website, is to be used to complete the fiscal year budget. Detail all budget line item costs to ensure adequate disclosure. Once the worksheet is complete, transfer the cost totals from the index tab into the sponsor budget in CLiCS. The completed worksheet is to be e-mailed to MDE-FNS. If the worksheet is password protected, provide the password to MDE-FNS.
If a negative value results in the CLiCS budget because of a difference between revenue and expenditures, list the other funding source(s) used to ensure adequate funds are available to cover the costs. The alternate funding worksheet in the Budget Detail Worksheet is to list information about the funding source and type of alternative funds. The alternative funding worksheet is divided into two sections, list the costs and then detail the alternate funding source(s).
Provide the contracts, leases, maintenance agreement and other related documents in effect for FY 2014 that support its budget line item costs. Label each document with a letter or number that corresponds to the letter or number on the budget detail worksheet section. Access the FDCH Budget Detail Worksheet.
For those costs that require Specific Prior Written Approval (SPWA) by MDE-FNS, provide a separate letter stating the rational and necessity for the cost to the CACFP. The SPWA letter must be submitted with the renewal application documents.
Annually, FDCH sponsors may submit to MDE – FNS a request for an advance of administrative funds. The state agency will approve a request for an advance if the request is reasonable and is justified by demonstration of need through a standard financial cash flow statement. An advance request is due to MDE-FNS by August 7, 2013. Submit a cash flow statement along with a narrative to request an administrative advance. Contact Alan Dupay, Principal Auditor at MDE-FNS, with questions about your advance request.
FDCH sponsors can “carry over” up to 10 percent of unused administrative payments from one fiscal year to the next. Sponsors are not required to carry over administrative funds. Any unexpended CACFP funds remaining at the end of the fiscal year may be returned to the state agency at the sponsor’s option.
MDE-FNS provides each FDCH sponsor a customized worksheet to calculate the organization’s carry over for the upcoming fiscal year. It is understood that the final administrative claims are not known when the fiscal year budget is submitted to the state agency during August, and the result will be a best estimate of the carry over amounts. The carry over calculation worksheet provided by MDE-FNS will assist you with the values necessary to make the best estimate of any remaining administrative funds. Copy and paste the completed worksheet into the carry over tab within the Budget Detail Worksheet. Contact Alan Dupay, Principal Auditor at MDE-FNS, with questions about your carryover.
In accordance with the permanent agreement with MDE-FNS, sponsors must submit audited financial statements and audits performed under the Single Audit Act of 1996 (as amended) within 30 days receipt of the completed audit report and financial statements from your independent auditors, or by the end of six months (June 30) following fiscal year close, whichever occurs earlier. This is the same as the requirement for the filing of the data collection packages with the Single Audit Clearinghouse. Audited financial statements must also be included in the reporting package submitted by the 15th day of the 7th month (April 15) following the year-end close, to the Minnesota Attorney General's Office, Charities Review section. MDE encourages you to have the financial statements prepared, audited and submitted in a timely manner rather than to wait for the deadline. Application renewal will not be approved for organizations that do not have their audits posted to the Single Audit Clearinghouse. Contact Alan Dupay, Principal Auditor at MDE-FNS, with questions about your audit.
When an action is taken or proposed that is subject to appeal according to CACFP regulations, MDE provides notice of the action to the institution's executive director, the institution’s chairman of the board of directors and, if applicable, responsible principals and responsible individuals. The notice describes the action being taken or proposed, the basis for the action, and includes this CACFP Appeal Procedure. View the CACFP Appeal Procedure.
For resources including reimbursement rates, claim for reimbursement due dates and a variety of other helpful information, view the MDE-FNS CACFP for Family Child Care website.
For current Code of Federal Regulations related to the CACFP, refer to the Code of Federal Regulations 7 CFR § 226.
For additional financial management information, view USDA Food and Nutrition Program website, FNS Instruction 796-2, Rev. 4.
For additional information related to procurement regulations, access procurement and contracts.
• CLiCS User ID/Password Request Form to add or delete staff having access to CLiCS.
• Add staff to the FNS Listserv Subscribe/Unsubscribe Form for pertinent notices and memos from FNS.
Mail: Minnesota Department of Education, Food and Nutrition Service, 1500 Highway 36 West, Roseville, MN 55113
Contact the FNS Applications Team at 651-582-8526, 1-800-366-8922 (MN Toll-free) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.