Special Permissions System

Minnesota school districts that are unable to hire a fully licensed teacher in a particular teaching assignment may be eligible for a special permission.
To apply for a special permissions, log into the Special Permissions System.

Special Permissions are part of the Board of Teaching. Questions regarding the SPS system, Waiver, Nonlicensed Community Expert, Variance Appeal, and Limited Appeal should be directed to special.permission@state.mn.us.

For licensing questions including Personnel Variances, Limited Licenses, and Nonrenewable Licenses, please contact the Educator Licensing division at the Minnesota Department of Education.