Procedures to Request an Extension for an Interpreter/Transliterator of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing
Directions for Filling Out Forms 1, A and B
In reference to Minnesota Statutes, section 122A.31, the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) has created a process and a review committee from which interpreters or transliterators who had been granted a provisional license may request one time-limited extension.
Forms are available on the MDE website.
Criteria for issuance. In order to consider a request for one time-limited extension, the interpreter must follow the procedures below.
A. Interpreter/transliterator must complete and send Forms A and B, due June 3, to the Minnesota Department of Education: Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
o The interpreter/transliterator is required to list four (4) specific contacts that must submit a letter of support for the interpreter/transiiterator.
o The interpreter/transliterator must write a detailed explanation of the reason needed for the extension and a detailed plan of how they propose to accomplish this along with evidence of a testing date.
o It is the Interpreter/transliterator’s responsibility to ensure letters of support have been sent to:
1. Interpreter’s mentor.
2. Parent of a pupil the interpreter serves.
3. The special education director where the interpreter is employed
4. A representative from Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services.
**You are responsible to ensure that your file is complete.
• Each person writing the letter of support (Form B) must forward their letter of support to the Minnesota Department of Education: Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Using this form people should consider things such as:
• The person’s formal education.
• Progress on the interpreter’s education plan.
• Written rationale for an extension.
• Detailed proposed solution with timelines.
A. Interpreters requesting letters of support should:
• Request letters in a timely fashion, 2-4 weeks in advance.
• Provide writers with their resume, background, classes taken and other information. This could be the same information that you send to the Minnesota Department of Education: Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
B. Letters will be considered confidential and will not be mailed to the interpreter/transliterator.
C. There will be at least one representative from the following organizations on the extension committee:
1) The Minnesota Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.
2) The Minnesota Association of Deaf Citizens.
3) The Minnesota Department of Education: Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
4) Others, as appropriate.
D. Interpreters/transliterators are to submit the Coversheet and Checklist with Form A.
E. As a condition for receiving an extension, the interpreter/transliterator must comply with a plan outlined by the appeal committee and deadlines for meeting the requirements of this subdivision.
It is the sole responsibility of the interpreter/transliterator to follow Instructions for an extension. The educational interpreter/transliterator and school district can implement the process by submitting General Information Form 1 by May 13.
If you have any questions please contact:
Minnesota Department of Education
State Specialist: D/HH
1500 Highway 36 West
Roseville MN 55113-4266
Video phone (507) 412-5214
Fax: (651) 582-8729